« Home | Controversy theory – the gospel of Judas » | Confessions of a broken heart » | Leave no gu(a)y behind » | my thoughts & feelings of Church » | The old geezers got it right » | Of guys, girls, and everything in between » | Say my name » | And the Oscar goes to... » | C.N.Y.F » | The days are just packed » 

Monday, May 08, 2006 

May the 5th

Have you ever had one of those days which you really just didn’t want to go to work?
Yup that day was last Friday.

The day where the dirt swept under the carpet was uncovered,
The day the where the skeleton in the closet was let out,
The day the where the cat jumped out of the bag,
The day where all the negligence, the slackness, the “I’ll do it tomorrow” finally came to an end.
The 5th of May was the “tomorrow”.

I got to the office a whole 15min early to mentally ready myself for the war I was about to wage with the forces of paper work. The damn auditors were coming to town and a whole years worth of FY05 Financial work loomed before me like a vertical marathon I had to scale. The more I thought about it, the stronger Newton’s 1st Law was on me and it took an eternity to get the engine started. But from the second the clock struck 9.15am to officially begin a MDC working day, my ass got moving and did not stop all the way. It was crazy, it was madness, it was insane, it was a whole year’s work into a singular day – a very very long singular day.

The seconds ticked by like hours, and the hours ticked by like days. I felt like I was in Chinese class all over again, except that this time I was doing something I actually understand. You could think of me strange, but there’s a queer therapeutic-ness & fulfillment to putting together Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. You could also think of me lame to say, I excel at Excel. Haha.

Anyway 12.00 signaled a half time lunch break for me and as I sat in Island Creamery having my tiger beer sorbet, I truly never felt so deserving of it. You never really enjoy the good things in life until it is contrasted in the bad and after 3 hours of sitting in a freezing SAF aircon room, a nice cool ice cream in a nice cool place has to be the most refreshing thing in the world. Ok maybe I got my perspectives all wrong.

ANYWAY, after that short intermission, it was back to the battlefield with my trusty PILOT & stapler. Another few hours of slogging away at the sheetloads of paperwork was my days future. As I sat there all moody, I looked back and reminisced at all the good days of the past week, of watching happy Disney cartoons and trashing Chelsea in FIFA, and gave out a sigh... all this work… this is no way to treat an ORD personnel… when’s my damn understudy coming…(who was asked during the interview if he was straight and he said "I don't know")...Sigh.

But then came that moment, the last stroke of the pen, the last hole punched, the last letter typed, the last CTRL-S and ALT F4. I was done! I had reached the summit! What a feeling, of standing on the mountaintop of work and soaking in the magnificent view of…book out loh!

posted by yado 

Best regards from NY! » »

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates